Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Everyone, My New Book Is Out. It's Called Feed. Go Buy It.

My most recent book is up in the Kindle store. I put a link in the side-bar. It's damn good. Damn. Good. I'm telling you. I had a blast writing it, which is, as far as I'm concerned, the sole indicator of a book's worthiness. It's true.

Yes, it's called Feed. I loved the short story–"Life Feeds"–so much that I expanded it into a novel. And then I shortened the title. And then I designed the cover. Both of which may or may not be mistakes. See, I was in the bookstore today–always a grueling experience, but lovely at the same time because books are beautiful and I love them–however, today I stumbled across this book:


Notice the title? Yes, precisely. It was published in 2002. Similar premise, although the intended audience of this book is teens (also, similar cover, as mine has a head on it as well). Anyway, I got the book so I can read it rather than resorting to suicide.

My book cover:



The other is a National Book Award finalist. And Nick Hornby read Anderson's Feed and apparently liked it enough to write about it in the Believer (which I used to read, and if I've never mentioned it, let me just add that Nick Hornby is one of my author-heroes).

So, my triumphant moment has sadly been reduced to ash. And dirt. And the back of an ugly bald head with the word feed emblazoned across it.

Not that my triumphant moment is that grand. Really. If I think about it. I know what I should do is pretend that I'm a freaking brilliant author. With loads of talent. And feign awesomeness and joy and exude the air that I've arrived when I put a book up in the Kindle store. Because that's success, right?

It's like I'm having a tea-party with imaginary friends, while others are at actual tea in a book shop in London with their agent, a publisher, and a movie studio executive who's trying to option the book for a major huge screenplay that will outdo the Hunger Games and Twilight combined.

"Now who wants to take their top off?" George Bluth, Sr.

I'm not an actress and I'm not very good at faking it. I have the worst poker-face, as I'm sure I've mentioned before and the one time when I had a damn royal flush–yes, no lie ROYAL FLUSH–everyone saw it on my face and on my cousin's face because I leaned over and asked him which I should go with, the straight or the flush (I was very bad at poker), and they all folded. So that amazing moment was deflated by my bad poker face. Once again.

Yep. Bad actress. Right here. Everyone. Look at the bad actress having tea with imaginary friends.

Honestly, I can't pretend that this is what I aspired to. But it's what I want, otherwise I wouldn't put the book up and sell it on my own. I'd be writing query letters and plying my goods at agents, trying to get noticed by them, the keepers of the red carpet and the velvet rope and all that jazz. I don't love them. That's why I'm not doing that. Their rejection letters or even less than that these days, they're lack of response, also has the power to crush writers, especially the ones with bad poker-faces who can't hide their disappointment.

And so I'm going it on my own. And if you enjoy my blog, you'll surely go spend .99 cents on my little book. And if you like it, you'll go back to Amazon and rate it. That's what I need. And here, on my blog which IS awesome, I'm not afraid to ask for it.

Honestly, I expect M.T. Anderson's book to be good. I don't begrudge him/her the name. Great minds think alike, right?

But my own Feed isn't a young adult novel. So please don't expect that. The hero is an awkward engineer and I love him. I hope you will too.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I read the short story and was taken with the idea and the characters. But the ending left me sad and somewhat in despair. So I am glad you've expanded it and I'll read it. But . . . If it is for adults, are you saying there won't be a happy ending? Also, I saw mentioned somewhere (Facebook, blogosphere, parade magazine?) that someone had seen a movie called 'Final Cut' that seemed to have a similar premise. Darn, I can't remember who they said was in it.
Anyway, headed off to get your book :)

Nicole said...

Ah, the ending of the short story left you sad and in despair? Yeah, it was sort of morbid, but liberating, at least I thought so. Anyway, hopefully the expansion will strike you differently. Thanks for reading it!

I just looked up that film you're talking about and I think I saw the ending a long time ago on TV or something. It had Robin Williams in it. Very interesting premise.

Sadly, I am learning the hard way that there are no original thoughts. They told us that in high school, but I didn't really get it. Not until I'd been directly impacted by it did it really drive a sword into my gut. Or something. Ha.

Anyway, I should just do what other authors do and intentionally plagiarize the big myths that have shaped western society and thought, like how David Wroblewski copied "Hamlet" and "Hunger Games" copied the myth of Theseus. It happens so often and it seems like it'd be less demoralizing (for me) when it's done intentionally, rather than by chance.

Thanks for reading! I wish you'd said something so I knew and could have thanked you back when you read it.