Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Travis: The Boy With No Name ... Battleships ... NeverEnding Story

I really like the new song "Battleships" from Travis' new album. I do. It's a great song. I downloaded it last night and I've got it on continuous play along with "Closer" and "Under the Moonlight" (from the same album), and a couple of songs by Young Galaxy, Sea Wolf, the Phoenix Foundation, and that one song, "Jenny Don't Be Hasty" by Paolo Nutini (it's so good, I can't resist even though I want to resist).

Unlike my friend Jason, I'm not a huge Travis fan, but here and there I enjoy one of their songs. I don't even have one of their albums unless I can count Stoker's collection as my own. If so, I have a Travis album! Except I think Stoker bought the album because of some floozy he was dating back before he met me (kidding kidding. She was a really nice girl, I'm sure). Since he bought it because of the influence of an ex-girlfriend, I can't count it as one of my albums. Rules are rules.

But the song "Battleships." I can't get over how that one part sounds just like the song from NeverEnding Story, the song the "NeverEnding Story." It's really beginning to bother me. I guess the guys from Travis didn't watch awesome kid shows back in the '80s because if they had, they'd recognize that the portion of their melody, when they sing "I guess it's just another day in lo-o-o-o-o-oooove," is uncomfortably similar to that part from the "NeverEnding Story" song, when the guy sings, "Turn around, look at what you see-eee-eee-eee." Or whatever.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now, and my machine is a relic. I have no sound card, otherwise I'd listen to make sure I'm correct. I'm relying wholly on memory. I mean, I guess it's not a big problem, since I've always loved the NeverEnding Story and the theme song. It's just one those things, you know. It's like what I told Stoker today when he asked me if I wanted to eat at San Antonio Taco Company, which he compared to Taco Bell -- if I wanted to eat something that tasted like the food from Taco Bell, I'd just go to Taco Bell. So we went to Bruegger's, which is kind of like Einstein Brothers.

No comments: