Pages

Friday, April 01, 2005

Speak Up

Today I read an article the in Deseret News about how the ACLU and other organizations are protesting the web page posted by Health and Human Services about teens and sexuality. They say the article preaches values, focusing on abstinence. The government can’t teach values, they say.

So I’m really opinionated about it. I loathe the ACLU. Anyway, I figured I’d go to this website to see how it taught values. Through a series of links, I found the site directed towards teens and their sexual health (link). Under the heading “Related Issues,” are links for “Abstinence” and then “Birth Control.” I went to both of these sights to read what was so offensive to the ACLU and the homosexual alliances.

First of all, I feel pretty bleak about America. My outlook for our country is dismal, and if history is any indicator for what will happen to us, then I’m certain we’re in for a major crumble. Or tumble. Like Humpty Dumpty, sitting upon a wall. It doesn’t help that no one in any station of authority can (or will) take a stand for strict morals without being attacked by the ACLU or the media or anyone. The only guy who doesn’t care what you say about him, who dares to call it like he sees it is Mike Savage. While I don't always agree with him, I respect that he's not swayed by popular opinion or harsh criticism.

Personally, the things I read on the HHS’s website were refreshing. I agree that the only foolproof, guaranteed way to not get pregnant or not contract an STD is through abstinence. Because of the human tendency to err. You can always make a mistake even after taking every precaution, and as a teenager, do you want to risk it? I don’t think so. Live young. Live without a care or worry about pregnancy or STD’s. What a way to rush old age, with heavy concerns like that on your mind ("Am I pregnant?" or "Do I have HIV?"). And aside from the risk for pregnancy, teenagers are not mentally equipped to deal with the ramifications of being sexual. (See National Geographic’s cover story on the brain.) It’s huge. And everyone knows that relationships are complicated beyond comprehension by the smallest kiss, let alone sex.

Anyway, I’m not saying teenagers shouldn’t be taught about birth control methods other than abstinence, nor does the HHS web site. It’s still instructive and explicit. Go visit the site, read about the controversy and speak up with your opinion. Be heard. If you don’t have children, like I don’t, it still matters. Someday you might have kids and think about what you’d want them to know. Think about what you’d want for them, what you’d want to do. You were a teenagers once, think about what you wanted to know and what you wanted people to say to you. You may disagree with me. Whatever. Just think about it. All of us are still teenagers within, looking for beliefs to cling to.

No comments: